Recommended Agent: On-Demand
Supported Agents: On-Demand or Self-Hosted
Is Auto-Discovered By: N/A
Can Auto-Discover: Datto RMM Child Inspectors
Parent/Child Type Inspector: Yes
Inspection via: API
Data Summary: Here
See it in Action
Video isn't playing? Click here
The Datto RMM Inspector is a dedicated Inspector for the Datto RMM platform. This Inspector reports on Datto RMM account information, users, devices, and alerts.
Inspector Setup Preparation
Step 1: Creating a Datto RMM User for the Inspector
- Log in to Datto RMM and navigate to Setup > Account Settings
- Under the Access Control section, ensure the Enable API Access toggle is ON
- Navigate to Setup > New Security Level. This is where we will create a Read-Only profile to assign to your API user.
- Name your new Security Level and provide a description for it. In this case, we are naming the security level “Read-Only”
- Navigate to Setup > Security Levels. You should see the Security Level we just created in this list. Click on the Security Level to set the permissions.
- Once inside the Security Level you should see 4 different sections, "Device Visibility," "Permissions," "Remote Control Tools," and "Membership." Select "Permissions."
- That section will drop down a list of Disabled Permissions. Toggle ON the following Disabled Permissions:
Ensure only "View" level permissions are applied.
- Next, scroll down to the bottom of the page and perform the following actions:
- Apply the changes
- Save the changes
Step 2: Creating a New User for the Inspector
- Navigate to Setup > New User
- Fill in the required new user information.
- Enter in a username for the new user
- First Name
- Last Name
- Security Level: For the Security Level, apply the newly created Read-Only Security Level created in the previous section. Make sure to save your changes at the bottom of the page.
- Once the new user is created, navigate to Setup > Users** to see a list of users in the system. Find the Username of the new user and click to open the user details.
- Once selected, an additional window will pop open with more information on the user. Here we will generate the API Key and API Secret of the User.
Select Generate API Keys and take note of the API Key, the API Secret Key, and the API URL. The API Secret Key will not be able to be viewed again once the window is closed, and the API Secret Key will need to be regenerated if it is lost.
Liongard Inspector Setup
Step 1: Parent Inspector Setup
Since Datto RMM is a multi-tenant system where a single portal is used to manage many Environments, you will set up a single "Parent" Inspector with the Datto RMM Management Console that will then auto-discover the "Child" Inspectors for each Environment.
In Liongard, navigate to Admin > Inspectors > Inspector Types > Navigate to the Datto RMM Inspector > Select Add System.
Fill in the following information:
- Type of Inspector: Parent
- Environment: Select your MSP's Environment
- Friendly Name: Suggested Naming: [MSP Name] Datto RMM Parent
- Agent: Select On-Demand Agent
- Inspector Version: Latest (Auto-Update)
- Access Key ID: The API Key generated earlier
- Secret Access Key: The API Secret Key generated earlier
- API URL: The API URL noted from generating the API Keys (Ex: https://zinfandel-api.centrastage.net)
- Scheduling: The Inspector will default to run once a day at the time the Inspector is set up. Here you can adjust the schedule.
Select Save. The Inspector will now be triggered to run within the minute.
Step 2: Child Inspector Setup
After the first run of the Parent Inspector, your client Datto RMM sites will be Auto-Discovered and surfaced on the Discovered Systems page.
Navigate to the Discovered Systems tab in your Inspectors > Datto RMM page
- Activate your Discovered Systems by ensuring they're mapped to the correct Environment > Select the checkbox to the left of Inspector(s) > Select the Actions drop-down menu > Activate Launchpoints.
- Users may also Archive Discovered Systems by Selecting the checkbox to the left of the Inspector(s) > Select the Actions drop-down menu > Archive Launchpoints.
Optional: Turn on Flexible Asset/Configuration Auto-Updating
If you would like this Inspector's data to be sent to ConnectWise and/or IT Glue, turn on Flexible Assets/Configurations for this Inspector:
- ConnectWise: Admin > Integrations > ConnectWise > Configuration Types > Confirm the "Configuration Auto-Updating" toggle is enabled
- IT Glue: Admin > Integrations > IT Glue > Flexible Assets > Confirm the "Flexible Asset Auto-Updating" toggle is enabled
429 or 504 Errors on Child Inspectors
If you are receiving 429 errors, 504 errors, or an error stating "Too Many Requests" on your Datto RMM Child Inspectors, check out our documentation here.
Updated 2 months ago