This document provides the steps required to configure the KnowBe4 Inspector.
Recommended Agent: On-Demand
Supported Agents: On-Demand or Self-Hosted
Is Auto-Discovered By: N/A
Can Auto-Discover: N/A
Parent/Child Type Inspector: No
Inspection via: API
Data Summary: Here
The KnowBe4 Inspector inspects the KnowBe4 platform to report on Users, Phishing Tests, Awareness Campaigns, and Account Information.
A Platinum-level, or higher, subscription with KnowBe4 is required for this Inspector.
Due to current limitations of the KnowBe4 API, unfortunately, Liongard can not set this Inspector up using the Parent/Child Inspector model. Each account in KnowBe4 requires a separate API.
See it in Action
Video isn't playing? Click here.
Inspector Setup Preparation
Generating an API Key
- Login to your KnowBe4 account and navigate to “Account Settings” by selecting your account from the top right of the page.
- Scroll down the page until you reach the “API” section
- If the checkbox to enable the reporting API has not been selected, enable it now
This will generate an API token that you will need to record in a secure place and add to the inspector configuration screen.
- Copy the API Token and click "save" at the bottom of the page
Note your instance URL
Keep this in mind for the inspector setup process.
Liongard Inspector Setup
In Liongard, navigate to Admin > Inspectors > Inspector Types > Navigate to the KnowBe4 Inspector > Select Add System.
Fill in the following information:
- Environment: Select the Environment this System should be associated to
- Friendly Name: Suggested "KnowBe4 [Environment Name]"
- Agent: Select On-Demand Agent or select the On-premises Agent installed for this Environment
- Inspector Version: Latest
- API Key: The API Key you generated above
- EU Flag: Only modify this if you have an EU instance ( ex. https://eu.api.knowbe4.com )
- Exclude Phishing Test Recipients?: Toggle this on to exclude Phishing Test Recipients from the inspection
Select Save. The Inspector will now be triggered to run within the minute.
Roll out Inspectors at Mass via CSV Import
For more information, please watch our How To video
To import KnowBe4 Inspectors via CSV Import, navigate to Admin > Inspectors > KnowBe4 > Select the down arrow icon in the top right-hand to Download CSV Import Template.
In the CSV Template, each row, starting on row three, will represent an Inspector. Fill in the following information for each Inspector you want to roll out:
- Agent.Name: This column is case sensitive. Copy and paste the associated Agent name from the Admin > Agents screen
- Inspector.Name: Enter "knowbe4-inspector"
- Environment.Name: This column is case sensitive. Copy and paste the associated Environment name from the Dashboard screen
- Alias: Enter the Desired Friendly Name
- SecureConfig.API_KEY: Enter the API Key generated in the KnowBe4 platform
- Config.EU: Enter true or false. True indicates customer is in the EU.
- FreqType: Enter "days"
- FreqInterval: Enter "1"
When ready to Import the CSV Template of Inspectors, navigate to Admin > Inspectors > KnowBe4 > Select the up arrow icon in the top right-hand to Import CSV > Select your saved template.
After the successful import notification, reload your browser to find your imported Inspectors.
These Inspectors will automatically trigger themselves to run within a minute.
Optional: Turn on Flexible Asset/Configuration Auto-Updating
If you would like this Inspector's data to be sent to ConnectWise and/or IT Glue, turn on Flexible Assets/Configurations for this Inspector:
- ConnectWise: Admin > Integrations > ConnectWise > Configuration Types > Confirm the "Configuration Auto-Updating" toggle is enabled
- IT Glue: Admin > Integrations > IT Glue > Flexible Assets > Confirm the "Flexible Asset Auto-Updating" toggle is enabled
Updated 3 months ago