Recommended Agent: On-Demand
Supported Agents: On-Demand or Self-Hosted
Is Auto-Discovered By: N/A
Can Auto-Discover: Umbrella Child Inspectors
Parent/Child Type Inspector: Yes
Inspection via: API
Data Summary: Here
MSP-Level Cisco Umbrella
Prior to deploying the Cisco Umbrella Inspector, users must have the MSP-level Cisco Umbrella set up.
Video isn't playing? Click here.
- Log in to your Cisco Umbrella Portal
- Navigate to Admin or MSP Settings > API Keys
Accessing API Keys Page
If you cannot access this page, you'll need to have the API Key feature enabled for your account.
Contact [email protected] or your Umbrella representative.
- There are multiple APIs to choose from. Choose "Umbrella Management API" when prompted. The Cisco Umbrella Management API is required for this Inspector.
Optionally, you may also generate Keys for the "Network Device Management API" or "Umbrella Network Devices" to gather slightly more information.
- Click Add. This will open a small modal window that asks you to supply a name for your API key.
- Give it a name that is easy to remember (the name is cosmetic), and click Create Key.
IMPORTANT: One Opportunity to Copy Secret
You have only one opportunity to copy the Secret that is displayed next. Secrets are not stored within Umbrella and cannot be resurfaced after the initial creation.
Preventing HTTP 429 "Too Many Request" Errors
The Cisco Umbrella API will return an HTTP 429 error if too many launchpoints run concurrently.
You may resolve this by following the steps in this the article Bulk Scheduling Inspectors for Distributed Start Times.
Since Cisco Umbrella is a multi-tenant system where a single portal is used to manage many Environments, you will set up a single "Parent" Inspector with the API Key that will then auto-discover "Child" Inspectors for each Environment.
In Liongard, navigate to Admin > Inspectors > Navigate to the Cisco Umberalla Inspector > Add System.
Fill in the following information:
- Environment: Select your MSP's Environment
- Friendly Name: Suggested Naming: [MSP Name] Cisco Umbrella Parent
- Agent: Select CLOUD-LINUX
- Inspector Version: Latest
- Umbrella MSP ID: Your Cisco Umbrella MSP ID. Please review Cisco's documentation to find your Umbrella MSP ID.
- Management API Key: The API Key generated above
- Management API Secret:The API Secret generated above
- Enable Network Device Management API (Optional): You may turn this on to gather a little more information. Two tabs in the views specifically show information from this API.
- Network Device Management API Key (Optional): Add your Network Device Management API Key.
- Network Device Management API Secret (Optional): Add your Network Device Management API Secret.
- Scheduling: The Inspector will default to run once a day at the time the Inspector is set up. Here you can adjust the schedule
Select Save. The Inspector will now be triggered to run within the minute.
After the first run of the Parent Inspector, your client Cisco Umbrella organizations will be Auto-Discovered in the Discovered Systems tab on the Inspectors > Cisco Umbrella page.
Navigate to the Discovered Systems tab in your Inspectors > Cisco Umbrella page
- Activate or Archive your Discovered Systems by ensuring that they're mapped to the correct Environment > Check the checkbox to the left of Inspector(s) > Select the Actions drop down menu > Activate Launchpoints
If you would like this Inspector's data to be sent to ConnectWise and/or IT Glue, turn on Flexible Assets/Configurations for this Inspector:
- ConnectWise: Admin > Integrations > ConnectWise > Configuration Types > Confirm the "Configuration Auto-Updating" toggle is enabled
- IT Glue: Admin > Integrations > IT Glue > Flexible Assets > Confirm the "Flexible Asset Auto-Updating" toggle is enabled
Updated about a month ago